Project Minima:

Sunday, September 2, 2012

My Downhome Funky Dress

Yep. That's what I have to call it, the poor old homely thing.  This is one of those pieces I kept working on and saying it was a flop, stopping, and then giving it another go, ad nauseum.  Well, the other day I went at it and didn't stop until I declared it was finished and boy was it funky.
artwork by Elisabeth Lecourt

So funky in fact, that I decided it needed a downhome funky homemade necklace to go with it.  And so there's that too.  I made it out of a bunch 'o junk that I painted with nail polish to boot!

The dress started out as a plain store-bought linen shift with short sleeves.   I added some length by taking the hem down and sewing crocheted lace to the bottom.  I ended up removing the sleeves after trying a bunch of different stuff to keep them.  And I added some floral print linen from my fabric stash as side inserts so it would fit me.  Check out the Clothes for Fall if you want to see it.

6 comments:

  1. Hey, that looks like an artist's smock! But of course, it's for an artist. ;) What a clever necklace too. You have talent in every category I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think it's just perseverance that does it for me! But I do think it looks like some kind of smock, i.e., working dress.

      Delete
  2. You did wonders with that. I'm currently trying to figure out how to make 3 rectangular doilies into a romantic type looking blouse. Wish I had your talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you can do it! Just play around with them...maybe they'll turn into a vest that you can wear over a blouse. Or maybe you can attach them to a tank top as sleeves and collar, who knows?!

      Delete
  3. I so appreciate all of the creativity you have going here. As an accessory lover...especially the necklace...and painting with nail polish...genius!

    I am also intrigued with the concept of not buying...the more I take breaks from consumption...the more I see that I use purchasing as a way to fill a void inside and a break from monotony that sometimes creeps into my life.... but I am beginning to see spending more time being creative with what I already own...can be an aid to both!

    Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (snort) my necklace is so homemade, Tamara it's funny to be talking with you about it. Like popsicles and Italian ice. But really, I did think about you when I kept adding things on to it!

      Delete